Oral EcologiX™ | Host-Microbiome Analysis
The oral cavity is a complex ecosystem, comprising several habitats including the teeth, gums, tongue and tonsils, all colonised by bacteria. The oral microbiota is comprised of approximately 600 taxa at the species level, with different groups and subsets inhabiting different niches.
The microbiota of the oral cavity exists as a complex biofilm that remains stable despite environmental changes. However, dysbiosis, in form of infection, injury, dietary changes and risk-associated factors (e.g. smoking) may disrupt the biofilm community, favouring colonisation and invasion of pathogens. Disruption of the biofilm community to a pathogenic profile induces host immune responses, chronic inflammation and ultimately the development of local and systemic diseases.
Much of this damage is reversible if pathogenic communities are removed, and homeostasis is restored; therefore, analysis and monitoring of the oral microbiota is important for health and can be used to inform treatment plans and lifestyle factors.
The Oral EcologiX™ Profile
The profile uses two technologies: quantitative real-time PCR is (q-RT-PCR) is used to quantify the abundance of microbial genes. Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays (ELISA) are used for the quantification of host proteins.
For microbiota composition analysis, the technology detects:
- Abundance of commensal bacteria
- Abundance of caries-associated bacteria
- Abundance of periodontitis-associated bacteria (orange and red-complex bacteria/pathogens)
- Presence of viral pathogen herpes simplex virus 1 (HSV-1)
- Presence of human papillomavirus-16 genotype (HPV-16)
For host biomarker analysis, the technology detects:
- IL-1β (pro-inflammatory cytokine)
- Healthy oral microbiome (homeostasis of host and microbiome)
- Oral dysbiosis (imbalance of the oral microbiota and/or host immune response with an understanding of pathogenicity dependent on abundance of middle and/or late colonisers)
- Oral pathogen detected (‘red complex’ species, HSV-1, HPV-16)
10 working days
Materials & Support
We offer complimentary consults with our clinical education team. You can book these from your account dashboard.
Case study webinars