Modern medicine can have a huge impact on global resources and biodiversity, yet our health is dependent on the health of our environment. As a company, we are motivated to lowering our environmental and social impact as much as we can, while running a thriving company.
Modern medicine: an inconvenient truth
2018 was a landmark year for us as we certified as a B Corp, joining a growing global group of organisations committed to using business as a force for good.
We also certified as a carbon neutral company and have since pledged to become net zero by 2025.
Restoring human health & ecology
This is Invivo’s vision.
We are a healthcare company that specialises in the multiple human microbiomes. We produce host-microbiome-centred therapeutic and diagnostic products and are lead educators in these fields.
However, we cannot talk with conviction about human health if we do not consider our environment – the outer world that speaks to our inner world. If we do not look after that, then how do we expect to maintain human health?
We are ripe for a paradigm shift in health, and in society. One in which we consider the planet and all its many human and non-human inhabitants as stakeholders. The planet is a finite resource. We must nourish it, as we nourish ourselves.
Restoring human health and ecology is ingrained in the way we think, process and act. We urge you consider the global picture as you do your inner microcosm of microbial life. Look after it, and it will look after you.
We aspire to act with the understanding that we are each dependent upon another and thus responsible for each other and future generations.
B Corp Declaration of Interdependence
- We are a certified carbon neutral company, offsetting through a certified forest conservation project
- We joined the B Corp Climate Collective, pledging to be net zero by 2030, but we are actually aiming for 2025
- We are making scope 1+2 status reductions:
- All sites use 100% renewable energy
- Hybrid cars for carpooling to our Bristol site
- Business travel policy prioritising public transport and minimising aviation
…And we are starting to add scope 3 reductions that are central to our business model
- We use 100% plastic-free postal packaging materials
- We chose glass bottles and biodegradable paper and inks for Invivo Therapeutics
- Invivo Therapeutics ingredients are organic where possible and sourced as locally as possible
- We have monthly ‘Lunch & Learn’, where we come together as a team to ‘break bread’ and learn
- We work with Ethical Investors as our pension company
- We run community educational events, such as film screenings, to raise money for Stroud District Action on Plastic
- A proportion of ticket sales of our professional educational events are donated to our chosen annual charity
- We are a 2019 Plastic Free Champion (Surfers Against Sewage)
- We invest in a regenerative agriculture farm in Spain
Certifying as a B Corp means a shift from old school capitalism, with its goal to maximise shareholder value, to one that equally values its stakeholders. The ripple effect of this business mindset shift is profound; we will forever seek to improve and to use our business as a force for good.
Kath Child Sustainability Manager